Putting the scenic into Scenic Rim, this region is a hub for outdoor adventure, mountain escapes and eco tourism. Explore the National Park, drink in the views and meet the wildlife in their natural habitat.
The village settlement of Canungra evolved around the 1880s, when the Lahey family established its Lahey Bros Sawmill. The Lahey family also built the Bellissima Guest House, named after the ship which brought them to Australia from Ireland, on the site which is now home to the historic Canungra pub. The historic Lahey Tramway tunnel, cut through sandstone and used to carry timber from the hills to the township, is still in place and is popular with visitors.
Canungra is a busy weekend stop-off point for motorcyclists, hang-gliders and walkers, and is the gateway to the Lamington National Park and O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat, Villas and Lost World Spa. The legendary hospitality of the O’Reilly family, who have been welcoming guests since 1926, continues.
Just outside Canungra is the turnoff for Beechmont and Binna Burra. This country road meanders up the mountainside, through tunnels of trees to deliver you to the lush, green pastures of the Beechmont mountain top.
For years Beechmont was home to a thriving dairy industry, and cows roamed the hillsides feasting on juicy meadows. Over time dairying has given way to a new community of people seeking refuge from the fast-pace of city life. This close-knit creative community takes its lead from past generations, neighbours help neighbours, self sufficiency is celebrated, nature is protected and respected.
Lamington National Park
The Lamington National Park is home to the Scenic Rim’s most diverse and accessible natural habitat. It is made up of two sections, Green Mountains and Binna Burra. Green Mountains is located on the western side of the Lamington Plateau in an area called O’Reilly, after the O’Reilly family who first settled the land in the early 1900s. Binna Burra is located on the eastern side of the plateau, closest to the Gold Coast.
The Lamington National Park was declared in 1915 and covers 20,590 hectares of land. It features many walking tracks along the McPherson Range, and dramatic lookouts which offer sweeping views over the Gold Coast, South-East Queensland and as far as Northern NSW.