Soldier statues proliferated after WWI but few were unveiled by royalty: Boonah’s war memorial was one of them. The statue, which stands in a low brick-walled memorial park on the corner of Park and Yeates streets, was unveiled in July 1920 by the Prince of Wales. He later became King Edward VIII.
Just two months earlier, a foundation stone had been laid in the park by General Sir W Birdwood.
Public subscription raised the £600 required for the memorial, designed and executed by Ipswich masonry firm, F Williams and Company. It honours 374 Boonah district men who enlisted in WWI, including three sons from nearby Coochin Coochin Station where the Prince of Wales was staying. The district lost 69 men at war.
The public memorial park in which the statue, flanked by two war trophies stands, was dedicated on ANZAC Day 1922 by war hero and politician Captain Arnold Weinholt.
Due to current health advice on social distancing, please contact the business for the most up to date information regarding opening times and services.
Park Street, Boonah